There are 3 grades of Fuel Oil used today:
- #2 oil - The most commonly used. It is also known as "Home Heating Oil". This is the grade used in every residential home that uses Fuel Oil.
- #4 oil - This is a thicker, darker, brow/red colored oil. It is used for larger apartment buildings.
- #6 oil - This oil is used primarily by extremely large apartment buildings, hospitals and other large institutions.
During the heating season, which roughly goes from October 15 to April 15, Columbia Utilities has scheduled deliveries of Fuel Oil 6 days a week. Should a customer need oil in an emergency, then we will set up an emergency delivery for the customer so as to keep them comfortable.
All Fuel Oil deliveries are certified and metered by trucks that are inspected yearly by the City of New York for meter accuracy.
Most Fuel Oil customers are on Automatic Delivery in which we fill their oil tank automatically based upon our computerized degree day system.
- This is the most convenient option for the customer. The customer does not have to check their tank regularly to make sure there is enough oil.
- We bear the responsibility of delivering oil since you, the customer, have more important things to worry about.
- Automatic delivery is preferred so as to prevent the oil tank from running out of oil, "running dry", thus causing the customer to have to be inconvenienced and wait for a Service Technician to come and restart the boiler.
However, some customers choose to be on a Will Call basis, in which they monitor their own consumption of oil and call when they need a delivery. Either choice you make, we are here to make sure you are comfortable.
Are you a new homeowner?
If you are a new homeowner and this is your first experience with oil, we would be glad to send a Service Technician to your home to explain how the boiler works and anything else to you. After all, we understand that your new investment is important to you. Please call to speak to one of our Customer Service Representatives.
We sell Fuel Oil to:
- Residential homes
- Small and large apartment buildings
- Institutions, i.e. Hospitals and Nursing homes
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call the office for anything and speak to one of our Customer Service Representatives.